Skip to main content

7/7 Reflection

    Today Mr. Paterson introduced us to the new tool called turn it in. When I was going to a cram school called KA, I used this tool to turn in y essay homework and get grades from teachers. I didn't know that this website was searching more plagiarism. I was only using it to get feedback from teachers that lived far like Hawaii. I also forgot the account that I was using so I made a new account. 
    When I uploaded the book review, it showed 8%. Apparently, this is how much of my work is similar to other people's work. However, when I checked things that I can't change popped up. Things like "Whiz Kids practice quiz". This whole term was mentioned in the reading and I shouldn't be rephrasing it. Also things like "the communication device, Medi–Talker". I don't want to change this because this is most concise way of explaining this device. I thought that it is inconvenient that things I didn't copy are considered as plagiarism on the website. It makes me feel guilty even though I didn’t do anything wrong. 
    This creating an account and uploading a file took the class all of the 45 minutes of class time. I thought that it was hard for some people because the school's computers were not working very well. I was lucky enough to get a working computer but some of my classmates couldn't get any computer that they can work on. Seeing this, I thought strongly that we need better and newer computers. People who don't have computers or can't bring computers are at a disadvantage and I don't think this is fair for them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/30 Reflection

Today Mr. Paterson introduces us to a tool that shows us if our choices of color are color-blind friendly. I never thought of the color choices that deeply. I knew that some combinations of colors are hard to see but just for normal people. When we checked our site, there wasn’t that much to fix but I learned that there are choices that normal people can’t notice.  Today the class was supposed to start the presentations but we were given more time. I hope that we can do a better presentation than the last one. 

2021/1/14

    Today, Mr. Paterson told us about an article about paper textbooks and digital textbooks that sparked debate.       When he showed us the news article, I recognized the professor immediately and I was surprised to hear this from him. I've read a few of his books about the Japanese language (since he studies Japanese) and seen him on TV multiple times, and I liked him. I'm all in with digitalizing textbooks since it's much more efficient and most of all it's so much lighter.       Mr. Paterson told us about vertical and horizontal reading. With digital textbooks, students can do horizontal reading. When I read books I note down the words I didn't understand and search them up later. But when I forget which page I got it from, I can't consider the context clues making it harder to understand the word. I like paper books but I find this really inconvenient.            I couldn't really get why he disli...

2021/10/12

    Today in class, we were introduced to the world-systems theory. This theory was developed by Immanuel Wallerstein. Mr. Paterson showed us a graph with Kondratiev waves, when the graph goes up the monopoly of the technology and when it goes down the monopoly ends. This suggests that the world is divided into 3 countries, ①core countries, ②semi-periphery countries, and ③periphery countries. It argues that technology gets passed down through generations; rich countries get to use the new high-tech stuff first and when they are done with it, the poorer countries get to use it, when it's not high-tech anymore. The richer countries don't like it when other countries infringe on their monopoly and they try to come into the "core countries". They don't like sharing so it's very rare for semi-periphery countries to bump up to the core countries. One example was when the US was developing rapidly and becoming a bigger country, Britain, France, and Spain fought in th...