Skip to main content

2021/9/22

   Today in our class we watched a documentary "Constructing Public Opinion". The documentary started off with a song by Rage Against the Machine. This band was banned from most of the radios because it was banned from the Clear Channel. 70% of radios were owned by Clear Channel so their songs couldn't be heard from the radio. Then the documentary went on to say things about how the public opinion is mostly liberal; for example, 80% want gun control, and 75% want more money on healthcare. So if politicians reflect these opinions then most social problems would be more looked into, but this is not happening. This is because politicians aren't serving normal people but they are serving rich people. Since they are supported with money, politicians pass laws in favor of them. The documentary also mentioned the fact that people tend to think that the middle ground is the safest and stay away from the extreme.

    It was shocking to me that even though the public opinion is mostly liberal, American politics don't reflect this public opinion. If more people knew about the bribery and corruption going on in the government, these social problems that the public wants would be more looked into. Another thing that was interesting to me was that the "moderate" people stay away from being "extreme." I see that a lot in Japan, for example, I hear that some people vote for Jimintou because they think that other parties' policies are too extreme just because they are demanding change. I'm guessing that people who call themselves "moderate", don't want sudden change making them slightly conservative. Knowing both sides of the extreme would make our perspective wider and allow us to critically examine the policies of the government. 

【NOTES】

Rage against the machine

All of their songs were banned from the clear channel

Dixie chicks critical about George bush

70% radios owned by clear channel

Frequently banned songs 

Saturday night live 

80% gun control

Healthcare  75%

If politicians 意見を反映 then these problems and issues would be solved  more looked into

They aren’t serving normal people

They are serving rich people 

Because they are supported with money by them 

Bribery and corruption 

They pass laws for them in favor of them 

What the people want is never 実現

Liberal high government intervention, spending on social programs, specific policies

Vague general terms if worded that way people just support them 

Peoples support will be different if worded specifically 戦略

Specifics get a very different answer

Politicians only say vague policies 

Moderate

The moderate people think the middle ground is the safest 

It might result in a worse situation

We have to critically examine the extreme and both sides

Only differs when the policy doesn’t include money

Human rights non-money issues

Media trying to manipulateChanging the topic 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/30 Reflection

Today Mr. Paterson introduces us to a tool that shows us if our choices of color are color-blind friendly. I never thought of the color choices that deeply. I knew that some combinations of colors are hard to see but just for normal people. When we checked our site, there wasn’t that much to fix but I learned that there are choices that normal people can’t notice.  Today the class was supposed to start the presentations but we were given more time. I hope that we can do a better presentation than the last one. 

2021/1/14

    Today, Mr. Paterson told us about an article about paper textbooks and digital textbooks that sparked debate.       When he showed us the news article, I recognized the professor immediately and I was surprised to hear this from him. I've read a few of his books about the Japanese language (since he studies Japanese) and seen him on TV multiple times, and I liked him. I'm all in with digitalizing textbooks since it's much more efficient and most of all it's so much lighter.       Mr. Paterson told us about vertical and horizontal reading. With digital textbooks, students can do horizontal reading. When I read books I note down the words I didn't understand and search them up later. But when I forget which page I got it from, I can't consider the context clues making it harder to understand the word. I like paper books but I find this really inconvenient.            I couldn't really get why he disli...

2021/10/12

    Today in class, we were introduced to the world-systems theory. This theory was developed by Immanuel Wallerstein. Mr. Paterson showed us a graph with Kondratiev waves, when the graph goes up the monopoly of the technology and when it goes down the monopoly ends. This suggests that the world is divided into 3 countries, ①core countries, ②semi-periphery countries, and ③periphery countries. It argues that technology gets passed down through generations; rich countries get to use the new high-tech stuff first and when they are done with it, the poorer countries get to use it, when it's not high-tech anymore. The richer countries don't like it when other countries infringe on their monopoly and they try to come into the "core countries". They don't like sharing so it's very rare for semi-periphery countries to bump up to the core countries. One example was when the US was developing rapidly and becoming a bigger country, Britain, France, and Spain fought in th...