Today, we split into groups to compare how the traditional media report the news to how alternative media report the news. I used an alternative media, The Electronic Intifada to research Palestine and Israel. The website showed critical information regarding the Israelis and Zionists. Then we got into pairs comparing what we read. My partner found an article on New York Times, "Why Israel should exist", she wasn't able to read it because it asked for a subscription but we could see a big difference in how each media portrays Israel and Palestine. After this activity, Mr. Paterson talked to us about Hasbara. They are using social media to make the impression of Israel better. They are jumping into conversations on social media and denying negative opinions and shutting down conversations. Since they already control the traditional media, they want to gain control of social media as well.
When I looked at the Electronic Intifada page, there were many articles that I didn't know about because it was never shown on traditional media. I read the article "At London Israel demo, calls to “burn” Palestinian villages". I clicked on this page immediately because of this shocking title. Traditional media reports how Hamas is refusing to have peace and that they are extremists, but Zionists are protesting too calling to kill Arabs. This showed me again how mainstream media is very one-sided. When Mr. Paterson showed us the character Iron Dome, I felt embarrassed. I couldn't believe that the government thought that it was a good idea to make a character out of weapons that kill so many people. It looked ridiculous and it didn't surprise me that it was ratioed on Twitter.
Comments
Post a Comment