Skip to main content

2021/5/19

    Today in our class we learned new shocking facts about what is going on in Palestine. I learned new facts about Palestine that I never heard of before. Palestine is very densely packed and 50% of the population is under 20 years old. This is due to bad healthcare and the fact that only 5 % of the population having access to clean water regularly. We learned in our last class that the Israeli soldiers control Palestinian roads but we also learned that the ports and all the access to the outside have been bombed by Israeli soldiers. And there are no roads that connect Gaza and the West Bank. Then we watched footage from Twitter that wasn't censored like the mainstream media. I learned some shocking facts about where Israel is bombing. Mr. Paterson also told us Facebook admitted to censoring Palestinian voices, Mark Zuckerburg the CEO of the company is Jewish.
    The most memorable thing in today's class was when we watched videos from Twitter. I've already watched the video of the Ten-year-old girl in front of her bombed house on Tik Tok, but seeing it again made me very upset. The thing that shocked me most was the fact that they bombed a graveyard. Mr. Paterson mentioned that bombing graveyards are more effective for cutting attachment to the land because people can rebuild houses. I thought that this was a horrible approach to take, I felt very upset that someone can be so cruel and disrespectful. They can not justify bombing a graveyard. Another thing I was surprised by is the footage of the Israeli children being taught to hate Arabs. "When they see Arab kids they want to kill them. They feel sorry for secular people. In 10 years everyone will be Jewish and the Arabs will be killed and some will be slaves." This reminded me of Japanese education during WW2. I hurt my heart that children genuinely think that it is ok to kill someone or make them slaves just because of their religion. When I see the comment sections of Tik Toks under #freepalestine, some people justify killing children by saying they are future terrorists. Educating Israeli children to become future soldiers is not right, manipulating their perspectives at such a young age is technically narrowing down their future. I felt very sorry for the children who are getting brain-washed, I was very disappointed in the US for being on Israel's side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/30 Reflection

Today Mr. Paterson introduces us to a tool that shows us if our choices of color are color-blind friendly. I never thought of the color choices that deeply. I knew that some combinations of colors are hard to see but just for normal people. When we checked our site, there wasn’t that much to fix but I learned that there are choices that normal people can’t notice.  Today the class was supposed to start the presentations but we were given more time. I hope that we can do a better presentation than the last one. 

2021/1/14

    Today, Mr. Paterson told us about an article about paper textbooks and digital textbooks that sparked debate.       When he showed us the news article, I recognized the professor immediately and I was surprised to hear this from him. I've read a few of his books about the Japanese language (since he studies Japanese) and seen him on TV multiple times, and I liked him. I'm all in with digitalizing textbooks since it's much more efficient and most of all it's so much lighter.       Mr. Paterson told us about vertical and horizontal reading. With digital textbooks, students can do horizontal reading. When I read books I note down the words I didn't understand and search them up later. But when I forget which page I got it from, I can't consider the context clues making it harder to understand the word. I like paper books but I find this really inconvenient.            I couldn't really get why he disli...

2021/10/12

    Today in class, we were introduced to the world-systems theory. This theory was developed by Immanuel Wallerstein. Mr. Paterson showed us a graph with Kondratiev waves, when the graph goes up the monopoly of the technology and when it goes down the monopoly ends. This suggests that the world is divided into 3 countries, ①core countries, ②semi-periphery countries, and ③periphery countries. It argues that technology gets passed down through generations; rich countries get to use the new high-tech stuff first and when they are done with it, the poorer countries get to use it, when it's not high-tech anymore. The richer countries don't like it when other countries infringe on their monopoly and they try to come into the "core countries". They don't like sharing so it's very rare for semi-periphery countries to bump up to the core countries. One example was when the US was developing rapidly and becoming a bigger country, Britain, France, and Spain fought in th...