Today, our class started in the hallway, at least mine was. When we tried to walk into the classroom, Mr. Paterson stopped us and asked if we lived in the Saitama prefecture. I live in Tokyo so I wasn't let in. I was very confused because I couldn't find the connection between where I lived and why I wasn't let in. Only a few people were allowed to go inside, I was very curious about what they were doing inside. I was a little jealous that they get to have a special experience. When Mr. Paterson came out to the hallway again, he told us we can get in unless we show our ID cards. Since I had mine with me I was let in, but Haoto forgot it in her locker so she was told that she had no permission to go in. I couldn't hear what Mr. Paterson told her but she was eventually let in. Mr. Paterson opened the door to let in few students at a time so the people in the back of the line took more time to get in. Even after the non-Saitama students were given permission to come into the classroom, we were told that we had to stand up during the class because the chairs are for Saitama citizens.
When I was told that everything we experienced today, Palestinian people face every day. I didn't know that the people in Palestine had to face this kind of discrimination, and I was concerned about why I wasn't informed of this reality. If people had to face these discriminations regularly, I would want to just stay in my house, since I don't want to wait at the checkpoints until the Israeli soldiers feel like they want to open it. When we talked in groups, the student that lives in Saitama told us that she felt uncomfortable seeing us getting discriminated against. She also mentioned that she felt bad for us and she believes that there are Israeli people that feel the same. I agree with her statement that there are people who oppose what the Israeli government is doing but I think that the education in Israel or the Jewish religion might interfere with people's opinions. During WW2 Japan had a very biased, war-based education that taught people that the colonizing, the killing, and the war itself is not bad and is necessary. This made many people not question the brutal actions of Japan. Therefore, if the government interferes with the education children get, most students won't even feel guilty about their actions. I am very curious about how they teach people about the government's actions.
Comments
Post a Comment