Today Mr. Paterson showed us an article from BBC News. The title was “24 people killed including 9 children in Gaza as Israel strikes Hamas following rocket attacks”. The problem with this title is that usually people only read the headline and not the whole article, so with this wording people won’t know if Israeli children or Palestinian children were killed. If the viewer didn’t know the reality in Palestine, they may misinterpret the article. Then Mr. Paterson explained to us with a demonstration with Ayana. He took Ayana's computer and to get it back she punched him. However, his fellow journalists only reported the part where Ayana punched Mr. Paterson. With no context, readers will assume that Mr. Paterson is the victim because most people don't do their own research. Like this example, BBC News started with Ayana, Palestine, punching Mr. Paterson, Israel. They don't cover the "why", what happened before Palestine's rocket fire. I learned that the media only tells us bits of information on purpose in order to manipulate us.
My reaction to this class as a whole was that I was shocked. First of all, I didn't know that BBC and other big newspapers that I trusted, and thought credible were the most biased. I knew what was going on in Palestine by scrolling through Twitter and TikTok. Especially TikTok, many young creators are very active on this topic so my first impression of this topic was we need to help Palestine. So I immediately assumed that the children that were killed would be Palestinian. I was very surprised that the media we are using to educate ourselves are the ones who target the uneducated to manipulate their thoughts. Also, when Mr. Paterson told us that Israel is using their religion to justify their actions and to justify Jerusalem as their land, I thought about the freedom of religion. When Mr. Paterson mentioned that he could make a new religion and use it to justify crimes, it sounded ridiculous but it was about the same as Israel. I think the true meaning of freedom of religion and belief is that you have the freedom to believe but at the same time you have the right to not believe. It goes both ways, so no one has the right to use the bible to justify interfering with someone's life.
Comments
Post a Comment