Skip to main content

2021/5/11

Today Mr. Paterson showed us an article about Israel and Palestine from BBC News. From looking at this article, it taught us about how the media uses language to try to put a particular impression on the viewers. They used languages like “kidnapped the Israeli soldiers”, “detained the Palestinian citizens” for the Israeli soldiers to make an impression that the Palestinians are the “bad guys”. The phrasing that I find most surprising was “swept to power” because even though the Palestinian officials were democratically elected, BBC News used this term to make it look as if the officials are the villans I was also surprised that the mass media was not covering the war crimes that the Israeli government has done but covered how Palestine bombed Israel which had little damage to the country. 

Mr. Paterson also showed us how the big traditional media uses techniques to try to portray a certain type of image. We were shown the front page of the London Evening Standard which was photoshopped to make it seem like there were a lot of people. Photographers use other techniques like zooming in to make an impression that the density of people is high. 

We were also shown what promotors of US presidents do in order to have a better image. The picture of President Bush subconsciously made people think that he has a halo. I’m not Christian so I didn’t feel anything from that picture so I was surprised at how people can be so creative to try to have a better image. I was also surprised by the fact that the landing of the airplane that Bush was “flying” was staged; I couldn’t believe someone can be so desperate to have the image they want to have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/30 Reflection

Today Mr. Paterson introduces us to a tool that shows us if our choices of color are color-blind friendly. I never thought of the color choices that deeply. I knew that some combinations of colors are hard to see but just for normal people. When we checked our site, there wasn’t that much to fix but I learned that there are choices that normal people can’t notice.  Today the class was supposed to start the presentations but we were given more time. I hope that we can do a better presentation than the last one. 

2021/1/14

    Today, Mr. Paterson told us about an article about paper textbooks and digital textbooks that sparked debate.       When he showed us the news article, I recognized the professor immediately and I was surprised to hear this from him. I've read a few of his books about the Japanese language (since he studies Japanese) and seen him on TV multiple times, and I liked him. I'm all in with digitalizing textbooks since it's much more efficient and most of all it's so much lighter.       Mr. Paterson told us about vertical and horizontal reading. With digital textbooks, students can do horizontal reading. When I read books I note down the words I didn't understand and search them up later. But when I forget which page I got it from, I can't consider the context clues making it harder to understand the word. I like paper books but I find this really inconvenient.            I couldn't really get why he disli...

2021/10/12

    Today in class, we were introduced to the world-systems theory. This theory was developed by Immanuel Wallerstein. Mr. Paterson showed us a graph with Kondratiev waves, when the graph goes up the monopoly of the technology and when it goes down the monopoly ends. This suggests that the world is divided into 3 countries, ①core countries, ②semi-periphery countries, and ③periphery countries. It argues that technology gets passed down through generations; rich countries get to use the new high-tech stuff first and when they are done with it, the poorer countries get to use it, when it's not high-tech anymore. The richer countries don't like it when other countries infringe on their monopoly and they try to come into the "core countries". They don't like sharing so it's very rare for semi-periphery countries to bump up to the core countries. One example was when the US was developing rapidly and becoming a bigger country, Britain, France, and Spain fought in th...