Today I learned about the reality of media.
Mr. Paterson introduced us to the five filters of the propaganda model; ownership, advertising, access, flak, and ideology. From these five filters, the one that I didn't predict was ownership. I could have never imagined that ownership or the company that owns the media can have so much say in their cover topics. I've never thought about which news channels are owned by which company and how their business can have an impact on what we see in that channel.
We were also taught about the Japanese Kisha Club. I didn't know this even existed so I was very surprised. I always thought that the mass media was messed up and corrupt here in Japan, but I still had a little bit of hope in them. Only allowing certain types of media has so many benefits for the government but zero benefits for us citizens. Our criticisms and opinions will not reach the government. I felt like the government is trying to manipulate us by using media.
When I finished this class I thought of the term マスゴミ. This term basically means the mass media is garbage. I also thought of the word 忖度, which basically means you try to read what someone is implying and take action beforehand. These words are used widely on Twitter and other social media that young people use. Many people including myself are gradually realizing that the media is something we can't completely trust.
Comments
Post a Comment