I chose this book, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli, for my pleasure reading because I saw a movie trailer for this novel. It was released last year, and I came upon it because it starred one of my favorites artists, which is Grace Vanderwaal. Also, I thought that it fit my preferences. The assignment that was given last semester about our own preferences, helped me understand what I really like to read. Before, I never really thought about what I like to read so this was the first time actually picking a novel from my preferences. From the movie trailer, I could predict that the book would be about identity and being different from other people. I was really excited to read it.
Leo Brolock is the protagonist of this novel. One day, a girl calling herself Stargirl shows up in Mica High. She was different, she wore "different" clothes, like colorful dresses, she has a pet rat, and she always holds a ukulele on her back. She sang in the cafeteria in front of everyone when someone's birthday came up and did not care about what other thought. At first, everyone was didn't know how to react and just stared and ignored her. But when Stargirl applied for the cheerleading club and sang with her ukelele in the football game, everyone suddenly started to like her. Leo Brolock fell in love with Stargirl immediately. However, there were some people who did not approve of her. As time passed, Stargirl's popularity decreases and Leo starts getting uncomfortable dating her, since he gets tormented by his peers. He tells Stargirl to be "normal", what will she do.
I found this book very fascinating. I liked how it is not written from the point of view of Stargirl, and wrote in the view of a member of "everyone". This way, Stargirl's existence is more emphasized and her thoughts are more of a mystery. I liked how the book ended with her leaving the town without telling anyone and leaving the present of changing everyone's view on identity and being a "good" person. Since I read this for pleasure I wasn't caught up on finding any symbolism or anything else. I made my reading more relaxed and simple.
Comments
Post a Comment